Savoy Cabbage – Vertus 3 (late)
Savoy Cabbage – Vertus 3
Savoy cabbage is interesting to grow because the plants are winterhardy. You can harvest and eat fresh but this cabbage also stores well. The tender leaves can be used for salads or cooked like other cabbages. The flavor is a bit sweeter compared to other cabbages. Protect young plants from butterflies with netting. Caterpillars can cause serious damage to the heart of the plant. The name Savoy cabbage comes from the Savoy region in the (French) alps.
Sowing and harvesting
- Start in April – May – for early autumn harvest;
- Start seeds in June for winter harvest;
- Protect with mesh;
- Start in CD60, 77, or 40 cell trays and plant out seedlings 3-6 weeks later depending on
the cell size and how soon the roots have filled the cells.
Advice and tips
- Winterhardy vegetable;
- Space 40 cm apart for early harvest;
- space 50 cm apart for winter harvest.
package contains: 2 gram
Seed per gram: around 200