Small Snack Cucumber – Iznik F1
Small snack Cucumber seeds variety Iznik F1 (Cucumis sativus)
Did you know that if pollination between a male and female flower occurs the cucumbers can become bitter? F1 varieties are selectively crossed to produce only female flowers. Sow this variety from mid-April till Mid May indoors or in a greenhouse in seed trays. After the danger of frost has passed you can transplant seedlings outside or in a greenhouse. Cucumbers need rich soil. Iznik F1 can be grown outdoors and in large pots. Simple support with a few bamboo canes is sufficient. We noticed pinching helps to encourage side shoots. Pick a small snack cucumber when it is around 10 cm long.
Grow and Harvest
- Sowing indoors or frost-free in March or April;
- Cucumber seeds germinate in 7-10 days at 20C;
- Plant out in May or after the danger of frost has passed;
- Young plants might need protection from direct sunlight to prevent scorching;
- Harvest time June – September;
- Don’t grow F1 cucumbers next to regular cucumbers with male and female flowers;
- Or you can remove male flowers from selective greenhouse variety cucumbers.
The package contains 8 seeds
F1 varieties more are labor-intensive compared to open-pollinated varieties. Usually, the results are better but the seeds can cost a bit more.